General Cornhole Rules
- Two Cornhole platforms should be placed on a flat surface, with the front edges 27 feet apart.
- The pitching areas are located on either side of the box, with the foul line being the line parallel to the front edge of the platform.
- A player may toss from anywhere behind the front of the platform from which they are throwing, but all turns should be taken from the same side of the platform as the first toss.
- The Cornhole platform’s playing surface is 24″ x 48″.
- The front end should be 4” off of the ground. The rear of the platform should be 12” high.
- The hole in the cornhole platform should be a 6” hole, centered 9” from the back and 12” from either side.
- The bags should be made from duck canvas, and may be any color that is easy to see during Cornhole play.
- Each bag is filled with approximately 2 cups of feed corn. Finished bags should be a minimum of 6″ X 6″ square and weigh between 14 and 16 ounces.
- The game should be played with 8 bags. Each team will have 4 bags, all of the same color, usually a color easily distinguishable from the other team’s bags.
- 3 points ‐ a bag that goes through the hole completely.
- 1 point ‐ a bag remains on the playing surface, a bag that is hanging into the hole, but does not fall completely
- through, a bag that is hanging off the edge of the platform, but does not touch the ground.
- 0 points – a bag that hits the ground before coming to rest on the platform, a bag that is on the playing surface,
- but is also touching the ground or another bag that lies on the ground, a bag that is hanging off the front edge and is resting on a cornhole bag that is on the ground.
- A bag that bounces on to the board should be removed before the next player tosses.
- Scoring is done by cancellation. The difference of both teams’ scores is the score given to the highest
- scoring team. If both teams score the same amount, no team will receive any points.
- In Cornhole doubles play partners shall stand at opposite cornhole boards on the same side. In singles play both players will throw from the same board.
- Each team will have 4 bags of one color; all 8 cornhole bags begin at one end.
- If an agreement cannot be made as to which team shall take the first turn of the game, a coin flip will suffice.
- The first team will then begin by throwing a cornhole bag at the opposite platform.
- Teams take alternate throws until all 8 cornhole bags have been thrown. Teams then count the points scored during the round.
- After scoring, the teams on the opposite end will then take their turns in the same manner. The team scoring the most points in the previous round will throw first to start the turn.
- Play continues until either team reaches the 21 points.